Ingredients – 4 Servings:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tins cannellini beans
- 1 tin borlotti beans
- 4 or 5 sage leaves
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or 4 tablespoons of passatta.
- App 1 litre of stock – vegetable seems to work best but it doesn’t matter
- 6 to 8 Italian pork sausages (if possible containing no rusk) or other good quality all meat pork sausages
- olive oil
Put enough olive oil into a large saucepan to lightly coat the bottom and start on a medium heat, add the onion, celery, carrot & garlic, sweat for a couple of minutes. Turn up the heat slightly and add the sausages, cook for a few minutes. Add the sage leaves, after a minute add the beans, tomatoes, some fresh ground black pepper and enough stock to just cover the contents of the saucepan and reduce to a simmer.
Leave to simmer for app 30 mins, the beans should still have a bit of bit to them. If it starts to dry out add a little more stock.
Remove the sausages and cut them into 4 or 5 pieces, return them to the pan.
Serve with warm fresh bread.
You can use leeks instead of the onion if you prefer.