- 4oz (100g) Pancetta
- 4oz (100g) Pecorino Cheese
- 1lb (500g) of Beef Steak (Rump or Sirloin) in 4 slices
- A few sprigs of Italian Flat Leafed Parsley
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic (Peeled and cut into 4 slices)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 Glass of Red Wine
- ¼ teaspoon of Beef Extract
- 1 Can of Chopped Italian Plum Tomatoes
Trim the beef and flatten with a meat mallet. Cut the Pancetta and the Pecorino into slices about the same size as the beef slices and put the slices together with a slice of garlic and a few parsley leaves on top of the beef slice. Season generously and then roll up the beef slices tying securely with cooking string.
Heat some olive oil in a pan (that has a lid) and fry the onions until softened. Lay the beef rolls in the onion and brown the meat thoroughly all over. Pour the wine over the beef, raise the heat and cook for app 2 mins to evaporate off the alcohol. Add the beef extract and the tomatoes, stir carefully and simmer, covered for app 45 mins.
It is recommended that this be eaten with orecchiette or some other short stubby pasta tossed in the sauce.